Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Fist Pump for Moms that Nurse

Ya know, I have nursed my son right up until a month ago. I never imagined I would go this long. I really owe it to my hubby who allowed me to stay home and do what I believe every mother should do for at least the first year (strictly my opinion, and you're entitled to yours). But yeah, getting started wasn't super easy for me.  We did great the first night but eventually I was confused about how often, which side and how many times to burp him, and how many times to pump. Then my pump broke!! Seriously, it can be so overwhelming. I even began supplementing with organic formula because I was so convinced I wouldn't be able to keep up. Truth is, I was afraid of what I heard from other mothers who's milk supply either was weak or just totally dried up. After using formula for a couple months, I became more comfy with the idea of breastfeeding in public and switched back to nursing exclusively. The rest is history. I decided early on to nurse on demand. As I read ahead, I found out that baby-led weaning can carry on for two years or more (which I wasn't interested in...That's a LONG TIME!) All power to the mamas who can rock n' roll like that, it just was not for me. Anyway, after he was over a year, I began to experiment and let him go as long as he could without nursing. Night time nursing slowed down as I realized just because he woke up didn't mean he wanted milk. Now I pat his back and go back to my room :) During the day I may nurse him once near nap time, but pretty soon I'll be cutting it out all together.

I'm an advocate for breastfeeding not just because its been proven to be better for the baby, but because its the natural means of nourishing the baby. Human milk is for human babies, and cows milk is for calves. Goatmilk on the other hand is more similar to human milk and easier for baby to digest. We did that for a while too lol. But mamas milk is the best! It is so good for their immune system and if you are supplementing yourself and eating well- baby gets it too! I'm also a big fan of the perfect the mother-baby bonding that happens. There's nothing like it. My son enjoys twirling my hair between his fingers while nursing. What about your baby? Next time around I plan on having a few mommy necklaces, which are safe for the baby to play with or put in their little mouths...and what's  really great are all the color combinations they come in! I'm also going to get a Medela Backpack! Anway...I think that's all. OH YES-One more thing! New moms need support! People, playgroups and good advice. Ever wonder why some people are so quick to share information that unmotivates or inspires anxiety?? I had one go-to-mommy, my cousin actually, and she was and still is there if I ever need answers or just a laugh. So if you know someone having a baby, encourage them to breastfeed :)

:: i heart breastfeeding ::

No comments:

Post a Comment