Monday, December 5, 2011

Slings & Things: The Babywearing Scene



Have you noticed more mothers "wearing" their infants around? I've even heard that many mamas carry their toddlers on their hip or on their backs. Now granted, I haven't seen too many people rockin' the slings (as pictured below). I originally  purchased one for my newborn that seemed (to me) to cry a lot. Mind you, he was my first and so I didn't really know what to expect even in all my years of babysitting and childcare. So anyhoo,  I was searching online for an answer,  I read that new babies can sometimes have a hard time adjusting to the world outside the womb. Think about it, all baby has known is hearing his mother's heart beat as well as her voice. So with this in mind, I first tried a sling. I'll have you know, that my son hated it in the beginning. But after a few times, he knew what was going on. At this time, the only reason I had chosen the "sling" method of wearing my baby, is #1 Looks: it was black/white, neutral since we didn't find out what we were having. It also happened to be reversible! and #2 Availability: I got it from Target online with a giftcard. Little did i know that there was a whole world of babywearing to be discovered. I later learned that not only were the other options as far as the style of carriers go, but they come in an array of different colors and fabrics. There's ring slings, maya wraps, ergos, bobas, didymos, neobulles, girasols...the list is endless. OK. There are no wrong choices. AND- there is a perfect wrap for everyone. I've even seen daddies rockin it out! What really tickles me is the response I get from people. I've gotten everything from a smile, to a stare down like I just walked out of a National Geographic. I've GIVEN thumbs up to fellow babywearers :D

I will say this, even though I own a sling, I do NOT recommend them for new babies. I remember my mom expressing her concern after hearing that a newborn had suffocated in this style carrier. Since it was on the news it was easy to I look up the report. The parents sued Target and Eddie. Basically, the infant's position caused her airflow to be cut off. Her dad was the one carrying her. This doesn't happen in wraps because you can wear your baby upright and securely wrapped to your person, their faces clear of fabric. 

My heart goes out to that family, but with slings...this is easily done. So for starters, don't buy anything that looks like The Eddie Bauer Sling and Hip Carrier€€ (seen here). Following my purchase (thanks to a few friends) I have now tried the Moby wrap and a Didymos woven wrap. The Moby is a stretchy, soft, lightweight cotton blend; excellent for new babies. I won't be buying one of my own because if you wear it with a larger baby it starts stretching out a bit. I also didn't like having to re-adjust it if I wore the wrap for a long outing. Now the Didymos on the other hand, was my cup of tea. According to my understanding its a cross of linen and cotton...depending on the percentages...some wraps have more "give" than others. I have found them to offer amazing support for babies ranging from cruiser to toddler size, however they seem to work for smaller little ones all the same. The one I tried was a type of gauzy-like fabric, which makes it an ideal wrap for summer months because its incredibly breathable. The only thing I didn't like was the texture of the cloth, not my idea of comfy (fashionable, yes.) but i think they all soften up with repeated washing. All in all I highly recommends the Didymos. In fact, I think any wrap, no matter what kind, is a wise investment for new mommies (dads too?) They keep baby close enough to smell your scent and feel your warmth AND it makes it super discreet to nurse in public ;) Hands-free is always a plus, too.


:::visit thebabywearer.com and my videos in the sidebar:::

sorry about the typos ;))


No comments:

Post a Comment