Sunday, January 8, 2012

What IN THE WORLD is a diaper swap?

Met a few new faces today at the diaper swap. Yep, that's right. Not only do I cloth diaper my toddler, I swap em' for cuter, bigger, softer ones...that happen to be 2nd hand. There is a local natural parenting store in town called Mama's Hip, that stands as a beacon of hope for mamas looking for guidance in their cloth diapering-babywearing-breastfeeding journey. They offer play group, a mama's postpartum group, an owl tree yoga class, wee rock (which is music!) and even cloth diapering 101. This place is wonderful. The atmosphere is very laid back and its a really great place to make new mama friends. I think I meet new ones just about overtime I go. The only draw back is its on a completely different side of town, but it usually is well worth the drive.

I was at the very first cloth diaper swap and found some really sweet deals. My little one is bigger now so we actually sold what I bought that day to a friend to use for her baby. Since then we have restocked with Fuzzi Bunz diapers! These are one of the most popular brand of CDs (see the blue diaper with white snaps in right panel?) I got 12 of them, gently used, in mint condition. Found them on craigslist actually. So anyway, I was a little disappointed at MH's swap because there wasn't nearly as much stuff as last time, and I came for the sole purpose of getting a large wet bag or pail liner (where dirty diapers wait to be washed). The store had a couple, but I really did,'t want to pay full price. I did however pick up two Hemparoo inserts by BabyKicks and something from Sustainablebabyish. Heard a ot about these brands. We didn't really need anything, but they are really trim (not bulky) and will help with night time diapers, since these inserts are made with natural fibers like hemp, bamboo and cotton blends.

The coolest thing today was actually getting to meet the Cloth Diaper Fairy! This gals a super cute redhead that goes around town scooping babies  dirty diapies and leaving fresh clean ones in their place. Sounds like a smelly job? She adores what she does! It's a beautiful thing. Maybe its because she feels she's making a huge contribution to our community? Maybe she just enjoys meeting new people? Whatever it is, what she's doing is working and I was really pleased to meet her. At the beginning of our CDing journey, I had considered using another cloth diapering service in town, but I ended up getting the hang of laundering my own diapers. This of course was cheaper. Financially speaking, cloth diapering is really an investment anyway. A diaper can range anywhere from $6-$30, which sounds like a lot to dish out upfront, but when you consider that you will not have to buy diapers every few weeks because you'll wash n' reuse your cloth ones...its a nice thought. I even found that during my postpartum days, cloth diaper laundry was therapeutic! Something about the process of getting them really clean and soft for my baby to wear again, just made me smile with satisfaction. I also knew there weren't any nasty chemicals on my baby's bottom. Now then, the naysayers will nay at you like they nayed at me lol. Just know in the long run, you will have saved more money CDing rather than using disposables for 2-2.5 years. Did you know using disposables can cost as much as $1,600, where as using cloth could cost as low as $300 all the way to potty training???  So yeah,  I'd be glad to give any pointers to those considering cloth. Ask your questions. Fire at will <3

Check this out:
http://www.realdiaperassociation.org/diaperfacts.php


::Cloth diaper laundry is the best laundry::

No comments:

Post a Comment